Ryo Kitada studied cognitive neuroscience in Japan and Canada, completed his Ph.D in Human and Environmental Studies at Kyoto University in Japan. Then, he worked as a postdoctoral fellow and research associate at Queen’s University in Canada. From 2008 to 2016, he worked as an assistant professor at National Institute for Physiological Sciences (NIPS) Japan (tenured since 2014). He won the JPA Award for International Contributions to Psychology from the Japanese Psychological Association, an award given to distinguished young researchers in 2015. Since 2017, he is a Nanyang Associate Professor at NTU. His focuses of research are (1) to understand the mechanisms underlying multisensory perception and social cognition and (2) how innate and postnatal experience are interacted with each other to develop them. He uses both psychophysics and neuroimaging techniques to address these questions. He teaches Biological Psychology for undergraduate students and Neuroscience for graduate students
Multisensory perception, Social cognition, Touch, Haptics, Neuroimaging, Brain stimulation, Rehabilitation, Assistive Technology, Sensory deprivation, Computational modelling, Virtual/Mixed Reality
- Touch and Blindness: Cognitive Brain Researches on Multisensory Perception and The Effect of Visual Deprivation
- Kanayama N, Hara M, Watanabe J, Kitada R, Sakamoto M, Yamawaki S. (2019). Controlled emotional tactile stimulation during functional magnetic resonance imaging and electroencephalography. Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 327, 108393.
- Pasqualotto A, Yin CCJ, Ohka M, Kitada R. (2019). The effect of object compliance on the velvet hand illusion. IEEE transactions on Haptics, in press.
- Kitada R, Doizaki R, Kwon J, Nakagawa E, Kajimoto H, Sakamoto M, Sadato N. (2019). Brain networks underlying tactile softness perception: a functional magnetic resonance imaging study. NeuroImage, in press.
- Ito K*, Chew Wei O, Kitada R*. (2019). Emotional Tears Communicate Sadness But Not Excessive Emotions Without Other Contextual Knowledge. Frontiers in Psychology, 10, 878.
- Suvilehto JT, Nummenmaa L*, Harada T, Dunbar RIM, Hari R, Turner R, Sadato N, Kitada R*. (2019). Cross-cultural similarity in relationship-specific social touching. Proceedings of the Royal Society, 286(1901), 20190467.