Dr. Zheng Liu received his B.S. degrees (2005) at Nankai University (China), and completed his Ph.D at National Center for Nanoscience and Technology (NCNST), China, under the guidance of Prof. Lianfeng Sun. He then worked in Prof. Pulickel M. Ajayan and Prof. Jun Lou’s groups as a joint postdoc research fellow (2010~2012) and research scientist (2012~2013) at Rice University. Dr. Zheng Liu's research focus on the synthesis, characterizations and applications of novel two-dimensional (2D) crystals, including nitrides (hexagonal boron nitride, h-BN), oxides, transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs, MoS2, WS2, MoSe2 etc.) He has made great contributions to the 2D materials based nanoelectronics, active nano-systems and high performance energy components, e.g. graphene/h-BN resonators, graphene photodetectors, high-density capacitors, ultrafast lithium storage. He has published more than 50 peer-reviewed papers in top journals such as Nat Mater, Nat Nanotech, Nat Comm, Nano Lett, Adv Mater, JACS, ACS Nano, Small etc. These work have been reported by the impact media such as Science daily, IEEE spectrum etc., and highlighted by the top journals such as Nat Phys, Nat Nanotech, Chem Int Ed, etc. He was a recipient of the 2012 World Technology Award in Energy category. This award has been presented as a way to honor those in doing "the innovative work of the greatest likely long-term significance." He was awarded the Singapore NRF Fellowship in 2013.
Synthesis of large-scale and high-quality two-dimensional (2D) materials, e.g. graphene, hexagonal boron nitrides (h-BN), transition metal dichalcogenides (TMDs); Synthesis of ternary 2D materials such as h-BNC and doped TMDs; Hybridized architectures of 2D materials; Applications of 2D materials on high-performance optical and electronic devices.
- Atomically thin Sensitive InfrAred photodetectors based on platinum diselenide (PtSe2)
- Imaging The Femtosecond Carrier Dynamics Of 2D Heterostructures On The Nanoscale
- In-situ electrochemical/electronic measurement for semiconductor catalysis
- Integrated On-chip Planar Coherent Light Sources
- Machine learning driven synthesis of quantum materials
- Materials design and discovery of van der Waals topological magnets
- Materials Research Society of Singapore Chair in Materials Science and Engineering (Liu Zheng)
- Negative capacitance transistor for flexible and wearable electronics
- Probe and Control of Spin Ordering in Two-Dimensional Magnets
- Unconventional Magnetism and Magneto-transport in Chiral Metallic Magnets
- Jinjun Lin, Hong Wang, Roland Yingjie Tay, Hongling Li, Maziar Shakerzadeh, Siu Hon Tsang, Zheng Liu, Edwin Hang Tong Teo. (2020). Versatile and scalable chemical vapor deposition of vertically aligned MoTe 2 on reusable Mo foils. Nano Research, 13(9), 2371-2377.
- Hong Wang, Yu Chen, Chao Zhu, Xuewen Wang, Hongbo Zhang, Siu Hon Tsang, Hongling Li, Jinjun Lin, Ting Yu, Zheng Liu, Edwin Hang Tong Teo. (2020). Synthesis of Atomically Thin 1T‐TaSe2 with a Strongly Enhanced Charge‐Density‐Wave Order. Advanced Functional Materials, 30(34), 2001903.
- Li Lynn Shiau , Simon Chun Kiat Goh , Xingli Wang, Minmin Zhu, Chuan Seng Tan , Zheng Liu, and Beng Kang Tay. (2019). Graphene–Metal Nanoparticles for Enhancing Thermoelectric Power Factor. IEEE Transactions on Nanotechnology, .
- Xuechao Yu, Yangyang Li, Xiaonan Hu, Daliang Zhang, Ye Tao, Zhixiong Liu, Yongmin He, Md. Azimul Haque, Zheng Liu, Tom Wu & Qi Jie Wang. (2019). Narrow bandgap oxide nanoparticles coupled with graphene for high performance mid-infrared photodetection. Nature Communications, 9, 4299.
- Xiaowei Wang, Peng Yu, Zhendong Lei, Chao Zhu, Xun Cao, Fucai Liu, Lu You, Qingsheng Zeng, Ya Deng, Chao Zhu, Jiadong Zhou, Qundong Fu, Junling Wang, Yizhong Huang, Zheng Liu. (2019). Van der Waals negative capacitance transistors. Nature Communications, .