Dr. Duan received his B.S. and M.S. degrees from Fudan University in Chemistry and Macromolecular Sciences. He completed his PhD in Physical Chemistry at Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces and Postdam University in 2005. After that, he moved to the Department of Biomedical Engineering at Emory University and Georgia Institute of Technology for his postdoctoral training. Before joining the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering as a Nanyang Assistant Professor in 2009, he was an Assistant Professor (research track) in Biomedical Engineering at Emory University. He was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 2015 and to Professor in 2020.
His current research focuses on understanding surface/interface properties of microscale and nanoscale colloidal particles to achieve tailored optical, electronic, magnetic, catalytic, and structural properties, and exploring their biomedical and environmental applications. He is particularly interested in new chemistry towards nanostructures with structurally integrated inorganic nanocrystals and polymers and new approaches towards well-defined multifunctional assemblies of nanoscale building blocks. The key research topics in his lab include: Plasmonics and Surface-Enhanced Optical Properties; Interfacial Assembly of Colloidal Particles; In Vitro Diagnostics; Detection and Treatment of Antimicrobial Resistance; Controlled Delivery of Biologics.
- Bioengineering-enabled Precision Farming: A Semi-closed Agri-food System
- Development Of Electrochemical Biosensor Detection Platform For Cancer Biomarkers Based On Graphene Composite Materials
- Fluorescence-enhanced microarray for high-throughput detection of SARS-CoV-2 antigens and neutralizing antibodies
- Rapid Microfluidic Detection of Drug-Resistant Bacteria via Metabolic Labeling
- Qirong Xiong, Yun Lim, Di Li, Kanyi Pu, Li Liang, Hongwei Duan. (2020). Photoactive nanocarriers for controlled delivery. Advanced Functional Materials, 30, 1903896.
- Shuai Hou, Yonghao Chen, Derong Lu, Qirong Xiong, Yun Lim, and Hongwei Duan. (2020). A Self-Assembled Plasmonic Substrate for Enhanced Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer. Advanced Materials, 32, 1906475.
- Lu, D. R.; Zhou, J. J.; Hou, S.; Xiong, Q. R.; Chen, Y. H.; Pu, K. Y.; Ren, J. H.; Duan, H. W. (2019). Functional Macromolecules-Enabled Colloidal Synthesis: from Nanoparticle Engineering to Multifunctionality. Advanced Materials, 31, 1902733.
- Zhou, J. J.; Jiang, Y. Y.; Hou, S.; Upputuri, P. K.; Wu, D.; Li, J. C.; Wang, P.; Zhen, X.; Pramanik, M. Pu, K. Y.; Duan, H. W. (2018). Compact Plasmonic Blackbody for Cancer Theranosis in the Near-Infrared II Window. ACS Nano, 12, 2643-2651.
- Bai, L.; Mai, V. C.; Lim, Y.; Hou, S.; Möhwald, H.; Duan, H. W. (2018). Large-Scale Noniridescent Structural Color Printing Enabled by Infiltration-Driven Nonequilibrium Colloidal Assembly. Advanced Materials, 30, 1705667.