Dr. Helena Gao received her Ph.D. in general linguistics from Lund University, Sweden and conducted her post-doctoral research in psycholinguistics at the Department of Psychology of the University of Toronto, Canada. She was Research Director of the Child Study Centre/Cognitive Development Lab at the University of Toronto before she joined NTU.
Dr Helena Gao
Senior Lecturer, School of Humanities
Director, Master of Arts in Translation and Interpretation (MTI) Programme, School of Humanities (SoH)
Cognitive Semantics, Psycholinguistics, Bilingual Development, Language Learning and Teaching, Computational Linguistics.
- Nicoladis, E., & Gao, H. H. (2021). How bilinguals refer to Mandarin throwing actions in English. International Journal of Bilingualism.
- Gao H. H. (2020) Mandarin Speakers’ Conceptualization of Force and Motion in the Semantics of Pull Verbs of Hand Action in Mandarin Chinese. In: Su Q., Zhan W. (eds) From Minimal Contrast to Meaning Construct. Frontiers in Chinese Linguistics, Vol 9. Springer, Singapore. 63-75.
- Gao, H. H. (2018). Modeling levels of consciousness for language development in infants: A Feature-based Approach. In Jan W. Vasbinder & Balázs Gulyás (Eds.), Exploring Complexity: Volume 5: Cultural Patterns and Neurocognitive Circuits II,155-168. World Scientific. ISBN: 978-981-3230-47-7.
- Gao, H. H., Wang, H. S., & Nicoladis, E. (2016). The delineation of throw verbs in Chinese: A behavioral and perceptive approach. Journal of Cognitive Science. 17-1: 95-131.
- Vasbinder J. W., & Gao. H. H. (2016). (Eds.). Exploring Complexity Volume 4: Selected Papers of John H. Holland: A Pioneer in Complexity Science. World Scientific. ISBN: 978-981-3234-76-5
- Wang, H., & Gao, H. H. (2016). Cross-linguistic categorization of throwing events: A behavioral approach. Cognitive Linguistic Studies, Vol. 3, No. 2: 259–276. ISSN 2213-8722
- Gao, H. H. (2015). Association of Nouns and Classifiers by Bilingual Children in Mandarin Chinese. In Gabriella Airenti, Bruno G. Bara, & Giulio Sandini (Eds.), Proceedings of the EuroAsianPacific Joint Conference on Cognitive Science, 566-571.Torino, Italy.
- Lu, Q. & Gao, H. H. (Eds.). (2015). Chinese Lexical Semantics. Springer. ISBN 978-3-319-27193-4. http://link.springer.com/book/10.1007%2F978-3-319-27194-1
- Gao, H. H., Zelazo, D. P., Sharpe, D., & Mashari, A. (2014). Beyond early linguistic competence: Development of children's ability to interpret adjectives flexibly. Cognitive Development. 32 (2014) 86–102.
- Gao, H. H. (2014). New development in Chinese language teaching outside of China. International Journal of Research on Chinese Language Teaching. (in Chinese) 3(4), 3-11.
- Gao, H. H. (2014). Database design of an online e-learning tool of Chinese classifiers. In Zock, M., Rapp, R., & Huang, C.-R. (Eds.), Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on Cognitive Aspects of the Lexicon (CogALex) of the 25th International Conference on Computational Linguistics, pp. 126-137. Dublin, Ireland.
- Gao, H. H. (2014). Semantic classifications of writing, copying, and painting verbs in Chinese. In Proceedings of the 15th Chinese Lexical Semantics Workshop, pp. 212-219). Springer (LNAI). (in Chinese)
- Gao, H. H. (2011). E-learning design for Chinese classifiers: Reclassification of nouns for a novel approach. In R. Kwan, C. McNaught, P. Tsang, F. L. Wang & K. C. Li (Eds.), Communications in computer and information science. Vol. 177,186-199. Berlin, Germany: Springer.
- Gao, H. H. (2010). A study of Swedish speakers’ learning of Chinese noun classifiers. Nordic Journal of Linguistics, 33(2), 197-229.
- Gao, H. H., & Ouyang, S. (2009). A feature-based algorithmic e-learning tool for learning near-synonyms in Chinese. In Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Applied Linguistics & Language Teaching, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 585-596. Taipei, Taiwan: Crane Publishing.
- Gao, H. H., & Holland, J. H. (2008). Agent-based models of levels of consciousness. Santa Fe Institute Working Papers, 08-12-048, 1-15.
- Gao, H. H. (2008). A cognitive semantic account of the sentence construction of the hand action verb Na in Mandarin Chinese. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference of Cognitive Science, pp. 382-385. SIGMA Press.
- Gao, H., & Cheng, C-C. (2003). Verbs of contact by impact in English and their equivalents in Mandarin Chinese. Language and Linguistics, 4(3), 485-508.
- Gao, H. H. (2006). Genetic mutation and atypical language development. Research in Applied Psychology, 29, 15-21.
- Gao, H. (2002). Language contact – Misunderstanding, confusion and conflicts. Intercultural Communication Studies, 9(3), 107-114.
- Gao, H. (2001). When the "learned system" is activated. Lund University Department of Linguistics Working Papers, 48, 41-54. ISSN: 0280-526X.
- Gao, H. (2001). Features of Request Strategies in Chinese. Lund University Department of Linguistics Working Papers, 47, 73-86. ISSN: 0280-526X.
- Gao, H. (2001). The Physical Foundation of the Patterning of Physical Action Verbs. Lund, Sweden: Lund University Press. ISBN 978-3-319-27193-4.