Lalit Goel obtained his BTech Degree in electrical engineering from the Regional Engineering College, Warangal, India in 1983, and his MSc and PhD degrees in electrical engineering from the University of Saskatchewan, Canada, in 1988 and 1991 respectively. He joined the School of EEE at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore, in 1991 where he is presently a professor of power engineering. He served as the Head of the Division of Power Engineering from July 2005 to August 2008, Deputy Director of NTU's Protective Technology Research Center (PTRC) from May 1999 to April 2007, Dean of Admissions & Financial Aid from July 2008 to June 2012, Director Undergraduate Education (Projects) in the President's Office from Jan 2013 to Dec 2015, and Director of the Office of Global Education and Mobility from October 2014 until March 2018. Since April 2018, Dr Goel has been serving as the Director of the Renaissance Engineering Programme (REP), and since July 2020 he has concurrently been serving as the Director of India Connect @NTU program. He received the 1997 & 2002 Teacher of the Year Awards for the School of EEE, “Best Teacher of Year 2” awards for 1999/2000, 2000/2001, 2001/2002, 2005/06 and 2009/2010, and the “Best Teacher of Year 3” awards for 2001/2002 and 2002/03. Dr Goel served as the Publications Chair of the 1995 IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) Energy Management & Power Delivery (EMPD) conference, Organizing Chairman of the 1998 IEEE PES EMPD Conference, Vice-Chairman of the IEEE PES Winter Meeting 2000, Honorary Secretary of the International Power Engineering Conferences (IPEC) in 1997, 1999, 2001 & 2003, Chair of the IEEE PES Powercon2004, Chair of IPEC2005 & IPEC2007, Chair of Tencon2009, Chair of PMAPS2010, Co-Chair of ACEPT2016, 2017 and 2018, Honorary Chair of IEEE Tencon 2016, and Advisor of IEEE PES ISGT Asia 2018. Dr Goel received the IEEE PES Singapore Chapter Outstanding Engineer Award in 2000, and the IEEE PES Outstanding Power Engineering Educator Award in 2009. Dr Goel served as the Editor for the International Journal of Electric Power Systems Research (EPSR) from 2002 to 2019, and he is an editorial board member of the International Journal for Emerging Electric Power Systems. Dr Goel served as the IEEE Singapore Section Chair from January 2007 to December 2008, and as the Asia-Pacific Representative on the IEEE PES Governing Board from 2011 to 2016. Dr Goel is a Fellow of the IEEE. He has published more than 190 international journal and conference papers in the areas of power system reliability, cost/benefit assessment, power markets and renewables.
Prof Lalit Kumar Goel
Director, Renaissance Engineering Programme
Professor, School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Director, India Connect, Nanyang Technological University
Power system reliability. Cost/benefit considerations. Deregulated power markets. Renewable energy. Power system analysis.
- Li Song, P. Wang, L. Goel, “A Novel Wavelet-Based Ensemble Method for Short-Term Load Forecasting with Hybrid Neural Networks and Feature Selection”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, Vol. 31, No. 3, May 2016, pp 1788-1798.
- A. Bagchi, L. Goel, P. Wang, “Generation Adequacy Evaluation Incorporating an Aggregated Probabilistic Model of Active Distribution Network Components and Features”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol. 9, Issue 4, July 2018, pp 2667-2680. Print ISSN: 1949-3053; Online ISSN: 1949-3061; Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TSG.2016.2616542
- Chengquan Ju, Peng Wang, L. Goel, Yan Xu, “A Two-layer Energy Management System for Microgrids with Hybrid Energy Storage considering Degradation Costs”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, Vol 9 Issue 6, Nov 2018, pp 6047-6057, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TSG.2017.2703126
- Arijit Bagchi, L. Goel, P. Wang, “Adequacy Assessment of Generating Systems Incorporating Storage Integrated Virtual Power Plants”, IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, 2018, Print ISSN: 1949-3053, Online ISSN: 1949-3061, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TSG.2018.2827107, pp. 2667-2680, Vol. 9, No. 4, July 2018.
- Libang Guo, Yi Ding, Minglei Bao, Changzheng Shao, Peng Wang, Lalit Goel, “Nodal Reliability Evaluation for a VSC-MTDC Based Hybrid AC/DC Power System”, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, 2019, Print ISSN: 0885-8950, Online ISSN: 1558-0679, Digital Object Identifier: 10.1109/TPWRS.2019.
- Arijit Bagchi, Lalit Goel, Peng Wang, “An Optimal Virtual Power Plant Planning Strategy from a Composite System Cost/Worth Perspective”, Proc. IEEE PES Powertech Conference 2019, Milan, Italy, June 23-27, 2019.