Dr. Zhao Meng is a senior lecturer at the Nanyang Business School (NBS), Nanyang Technological University (NTU), and a senior research fellow at the Nanyang Center for Emerging Markets. He served on the faculty at Renmin Business School and the Moscow School of Management Skolkovo. He was the founding director of the Yunus Center for Social Business & Microfinance, Renmin University of China. He holds a PhD in organization theory and strategy from the Said Business School, Oxford University. He was a postdoctoral scholar at Stanford University’s Philanthropy and Civil Society Research Center, and a visiting scholar at Harvard Kennedy School of Government. He is currently an editorial board member at Social Enterprise Journal, an advisory board member at Research in the Sociology of Organizations, and a core researcher at Systems Change Observatory at Oxford’s Said Business School. His research on multinational corporation strategy, stakeholder management, corporate social responsibility and social entrepreneurship has appeared on Journal of International Business Studies,Journal of Business Ethics, Business Horizons, Stanford Social Innovation Review, Journal of Social Entrepreneurship, Journal of Asian Public Policy, CEIBS Business Review, Financial Times, etc. He is the chief editor of two books on social entrepreneurship. In addition to research, he is also a major initiator of the Beijing Initiative on China Social Enterprise Development which consolidates the field and sets up a road map for social enterprise development in China.
- Zhao, M., & Mao, J. Y. (Eds.) 2021. Social Entrepreneurship: An Innovative Solution to Social Problems. Springer. ISBN 978-981-15-9881-4.
- Zhao, M., Mao, J. Y. & Wang, J. Y. (Eds.) 2020. 社会企业家精神：使命稳健性的概念与实践 (Social Entrepreneurship: The Concept and Practice of Social Mission Robustness). China Renmin University Press.
- Zhao, M. 2020. Social entrepreneurship for systemic change: The case of Southeast and South Asian countries. Journal of Asian Public Policy.
- Zhao, M., & Han, J. 2020. Tensions and Risks of Social Enterprises’ Scaling Strategies: The Case of Microfinance Institutions in China. Journal of Social Entrepreneurship. 11(2): 134-154.
- Zhao, M. 2016. Reinventing Social Enterprise in China: Language, Institution and Strategy. In Y. Chandra, & L. Wong. Eds. Social Entrepreneurship in the Greater China: Policy and Cases. Chapter 1: 1-18. Routledge.
- Zhao, M., Park. S. & N. Zhou. 2014. MNC Strategy and Social Adaptation in Emerging Markets. Journal of International Business Studies. 45: 842–861.
- Zhao, M., Tan, J. & S. Park. 2014. From Voids to Sophistication: Institutional Environment and MNC CSR Crisis in Emerging Markets. Journal of Business Ethics. 122 (4): 655-674.
- Zhao, M. 2013. Beyond Cops and Robbers: Contextual Challenge Driving Multinational Corporation’s Public Crisis in China and Russia. Business Horizons. 56(4): 491–501.
- Zhao M. 2012. CSR-Based Political Legitimacy Strategy: Managing the State by Doing Good in China and Russia. Journal of Business Ethics. 11(4): 439-460.
- Zhao, M. 2012. The Social Enterprise Emerges in China. Spring cover article. Stanford Social Innovation Review.