Yuan Qiao obtained her B.A. in Chemistry, summa cum laude from Bryn Mawr College in the US in 2010, and completed her Ph.D. in Chemical Biology from Harvard University in 2016 under the guidance of Prof. Daniel Kahne and Prof. Suzanne Walker. In 2016-2019, Yuan carried out her postdoctoral research in A*STAR institutes, Singapore. She joins CBC, SPMS in late 2019 as an assistant professor. Yuan is a recipient of the A*STAR National Science Scholarship (2007-2016), and the Singapore National Research Foundation Fellowship Award, Class of 2020.
Our research aims to elucidate the molecular cues that the gut microbiota use in communicating with the host, which may help to establish the mechanistic basis for microbiota associated diseases. We are currently developing chemical strategies to profile and characterize microbiota-derived signalling molecules involved in the bacteria-host crosstalk.
- A Chemical Biology Approach to Elucidate the Structures and Functions of Systemic Peptidoglycan Molecules in Serum
- A Chemical Biology Approach to Investigate the Structures and Functions of Blood Peptidoglycan-ome in Human
- Huang Z, Wang J, Xu X, Wang H, Qiao Y, Chu WC, Xu S, Chai L, Cottier F, Pavelka N, Oosting M, Joosten LAB, Netea M, Ng CYL, Leong KP, Kundu P, Lam KP, Pettersson S, Wang Y. (2019). Antibody neutralization of microbiota-derived circulating peptidoglycan dampens inflammation and ameliorates autoimmunity. Nature Microbiology, 4, 766-773.
- Srisuknimit V‡, Qiao Y‡, Schaefer K, Kahne D, Walker S. (2017). Peptidoglycan Cross-Linking Preferences of Staphylococcus aureus Penicillin-Binding Proteins Have Implications for Treating MRSA Infections. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 139(29), 9791-9794.
- Qiao Y‡, Srisuknimit V‡, Rubino F, Schaefer K, Ruiz N, Walker S, Kahne D. (2017). Lipid II Overproduction Allows Direct Assay of Transpeptidase Inhibition by Beta-lactams. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 13(7), 793-798.
- Qiao Y, Lebar MD, Schirner K, Schaefer K, Tsukamoto H, Kahne D. (2014). Detection of Lipid-linked Peptidoglycan Precursors by Exploiting an Unexpected Transpeptidase Reaction. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 136(42), 14678-81.