Elaine Chan is an Associate Professor of Marketing at Nanyang Business School. She obtained her PhD from Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. Her research interests focus on understanding consumer behavior. In particular, she is interested in how interpersonal influences and lay beliefs influence consumers’ attitude, motivation and behavior. Her research has been published in Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing Research, and Journal of Consumer Psychology.
Assoc Prof Chan Yee Ling, Elaine
Associate Professor, College of Business (Nanyang Business School) - Division of Marketing
- Input Versus Output: The Role Of Social Comparison On Motivation
- When Social Comparison Is Demotivating For Goal Achievement The Motivating Effect of Input Versus Output Social Comparision,The effect Of Lay Belief Of Diet & Exercise On Physical Health, Meaning Of Health:,The Motivating Effect Of
- Briers, Barbara, Young Eun Huh, Elaine Chan, and Anirban Mukhopadhyay (2020), “The Unhealthy = Tasty Belief is Associated with BMI through Reduced Consumption of Vegetables: A Cross-National and Mediational analysis,” Appetite, 150, 104639.
- Chan, Elaine and Barbara Briers (2019), “It’s the End of the Competition: When Social Comparison is Not Always Motivating for Goal Achievement,” Journal of Consumer Research, 46 (2), 351-70.
- Chan, Elaine and Jaideep Sengupta (2013), “Observing Flattery: A Social Comparison Perspective,” Journal of Consumer Research, 40 (Dec), 740-58.
- Chan, Elaine, Jaideep Sengupta, and Anirban Mukhopadhyay (2013), “The Antecedents of Anticipatory Purchase: Reconciling the Two Routes to Optimism,” Journal of Consumer Psychology, 23 (1), 90-105.
- Chan, Elaine and Jaideep Sengupta (2010), “Insincere Flattery Actually Works: A Dual Attitudes Perspective,” Journal of Marketing Research, 47 (1), 122-33.
- Chan, Elaine and Anirban Mukhopadhyay (2010), “When Choosing Makes a Good Thing Better: Temporal Variations in the Valuation of Hedonic Consumption,” Journal of Marketing Research, 47 (3), 497-507.