Dr. Zhao received his B.Sc. and Ph.D. degrees in chemistry from Nankai University. He was a postdoctoral scholar with Professor Sir Fraser Stoddart at University of California Los Angeles and subsequently at Northwestern University. When he was at University of California Los Angeles, he also conducted research work with Professor Jeffrey Zink. He is currently a Professor in the School of Physical and Mathematical Sciences, the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, and the School of Materials Science and Engineering at Nanyang Technological University.
The research programs in the Zhao group focus on the development of integrated systems for diagnostics and therapeutics, as well as porous materials for gas/energy storage and catalysis. They utilize interdisciplinary approaches to investigate the emerging problems at the forefront of chemistry and materials sciences.
- Chiral Covalent Organic Frameworks for Chiral Recognition and Asymmetric Catalysis
- Heavy Metal-free Sulfur Nano Dots for Luminescence based Applications
- Near Infrared Hybrid Systems for Deep Tissue Photoacoustic Imaging
- Self-Assembled Organic Nanoparticles for Efficient Three-Photon Imaging
- Smart Supramolecular Prodrug Systems For Combination Cancer Theranostics
- Support for Postdocs (NRFF)
- Synthetic Therapeutic Systems for Photoresponsive Drug Release
- Chaoliang Tan, Lingzhi Zhao, Peng Yu, Ying Huang, Bo Chen, Zhuangchai Lai, Xiaoying Qi, Min Hao Goh, Xiao Zhang, Shikui Han, Xue-Jun Wu, Zheng Liu, Yanli Zhao, and Hua Zhang. (2017). Preparation of Ultrathin Two-Dimensional TixTa1-xSyOz Nanosheets as Highly Efficient Photothermal Agents. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, .
- Meiting Zhao , Yixian Wang , Qinglang Ma , Ying Huang , Xiao Zhang , Jianfeng Ping , Zhicheng Zhang , Qipeng Lu , Yifu Yu , Huan Xu , Yanli Zhao , Hua Zhang. (2015). Ultrathin 2D Metal–Organic Framework Nanosheets. Advanced Materials, 27(45), 7372-7378.
- Wang JG, Zhao YL, Yokoi T, Kondo JN, Tatsumi T. (2014). High-Performance Titanosilicate Catalyst Obtained through Combination of Liquid-Phase and Solid-Phase Transformation Mechanisms. ChemCatChem, 6(9), 2719-2726.
- H. Li, A. C. Fahrenbach, A. Coskun, Z. Zhu, G. Barin, Y.-L. Zhao, Y. Y. Botros, J.-P. Sauvage, J. F. Stoddart. (2011). A Light-Stimulated Molecular Switch Driven by Radical–Radical Interactions in Water. Angewandte Chemie International Edition, 50(30), 6782–6788.
- M. W. Ambrogio, C. R. Thomas, Y.-L. Zhao, J. I. Zink, J. F. Stoddart. (2011). Mechanized Silica Nanoparticles: A New Frontier in Theranostic Nanomedicine. Accounts of Chemical Research, 44(10), 903–913.