Dr. Jun-Koo KANG is Canon Professor/Distinguished Professor of Finance at Nanyang Business School, Nanyang Technological University (NTU). He was former head of the division of banking and finance and also former founding executive director of the Insurance Risk and Finance Research Centre at NBS. Prior to joining NTU, Dr. Kang was the MSU Federal Credit Union Endowed Chair in Financial Institutions and Investments at Michigan State University. His areas of research expertise include mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, capital raising, capital structure, emerging financial markets, international finance, and banking. His research has been published in leading finance, economics, and other business journals, including Journal of Finance, Journal of Financial Economics, Review of Financial Studies, American Economic Review, Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Journal of Business, Accounting Review, Journal of International Business Studies, and Pacific-Basin Finance Journal. He currently serves as a co-editor of Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, an associate editor of Financial Management, Japan and the World Economy, Journal of Financial Perspectives, and Asia-Pacific Journal of Financial Studies, and an editorial review board member of Journal of International Business Studies. He is also a senior fellow and a member of executive council of the Asia Bureau of Finance and Economics Research, a research fellow of the Asian Institute of Corporate Governance, and a member of World Economic Forum Expert Network. In a recent article by Chan, Chen, and Lee (2011), he was ranked number one in the Asia–Pacific region based on articles published in 21 leading finance journals during 1990-2008. He received the Nanyang Research Award in 2013, the highest accolade awarded by NTU in recognition for research excellence. Dr. Kang received his Ph.D. in finance from the Ohio State University, his master of science in finance from the Iowa State University, and his bachelor's degree in business administration from the Korea University.
Prof Kang Jun-Koo
Dr. Kang's research interests include corporate finance and international finance, particularly cross-border mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, capital raising, international portfolio allocation, and banking.
- START-UP GRANT
- Sheng-Syan Chen, Yan-Shing Chen, Jun-Koo Kang, and Shu-Cing Peng. (2020). Board Structure, Director Expertise, and Advisory Role of Outside Directors. Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming.
- Shinichi Kamiya, Jun-Koo Kang, Jungmin Kim, A. Milidonis, and René M. Stulz. (2020). Risk Management, Firm Reputation, and the Impact of Successful Cyberattacks on Target Firms. Journal of Financial Economics, forthcoming.
- Jun-Koo Kang and Jungmin Kim. (2020). Do Family Firms Invest More Than Nonfamily Firms in Employee-Friendly Policies?. Management Science, 66, 1,300-1,324.
- Jun-Koo Kang, Jungmin Kim, Hyemin Kim, and Angie Low. (2021). Activist-appointed Directors. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Forthcoming.
- Jun-Koo Kang and James Park. (2021). Private Placements of Equity and Firm Value: Value Enhancing or Value Destroying?. Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Forthcoming.