He conducted postdoctoral research with the University of Sydney Postdoctoral Fellowship in Australia and then joined Nanyang Technological University with Nanyang Assistant Professorship. He is now an Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, and a Cluster Director at Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N).
Dr Xu and his SODA (Stability, Optimization, and Data-Analytics) power system research group are working on the following areas:
1) stability and control of renewable-energy power systems
2) microgrids and distributed energy resource (DER) integration
3) data-analytics for smart grid applications
As the first/corresponding author, he has published 1 book, 84 IEEE Transactions papers, and 30 IET journal papers. He has 8 "Web-of-Science highly cited papers" and received 10 IEEE/IET paper contests and conference best paper awards. His research outcomes have been practically applied/licensed to the industry in Australia, the USA, Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR, and China Mainland.
In Singapore, his research is funded by National Research Foundation (NRF), Ministry of Education (MOE), Energy Market Authority (EMA), Housing & Development Board (HDB), DSO National Laboratories, Rolls-Royce, Singtel, Infineon, JTC (Jurong Town Corporation), SingaporePower (SP), and technology start-up companies, etc. He has been practically collaborating with many universities in Australia, China, Hong Kong SAR, UK, Denmark, France, Switzerland, India, and the USA through joint research projects and research student exchanges.
Dr Xu is serving as an Editor for IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid, IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, IEEE Power Engineering Letters, IET Generation, Transmission & Distribution, and Chinese Society for Electrical Engineering (CSEE) Journal of Power and Energy Systems, Journal of Modern Power Systems and Clean Energy (MPCE). He is also serving as the Chairman of IEEE Power & Energy Society (PES) Singapore Chapter.
- Big-Data Analytics For Future Smart Grid Security Assessment, Control And Optimization
- Development and Deployment of Intelligent Energy Management Software for Cost-effective and Energy Efficient Operation of PV and Battery System
- IEMI Study on Power Grid
- Project 1: Risk-Based Asset Investment and Planning Optimization
- Research, Development And Demonstration Of Energy Storage Systems And Technologies Dedicated To Renewable Energy Integration In Remote Locations
- Risk-based Asset Investment and Planning Optimisation
- Site A - 2.4MWh/2.4MWh Lithium-Ion Solutions: Work Packages8 - 15 And 20
- Stochastic Stability Analysis, Control, and Optimization of Complex Power Systems with Extra-High-Level Intermittent Renewable Energies
- The Research on Power Grid Modelling and Simulation
Y. Xu, M. Yin, Z.Y. Dong, R. Zhang, and D.J. Hill,. (2018). “Robust dispatch of high wind power-penetrated power systems against transient instability,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, R. Zhang, and D.J. Hill. (2017). "Multi-timescale coordinated voltage/var control of high renewable-penetrated distribution networks,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, R. Zhang, Y. Xue, and D.J. Hill. (2015). “A decomposition-based practical approach to transient stability-constrained unit commitment,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, K.P. Wong, E. Liu, and B. Yue. (2013). “Optimal capacitor placement to distribution transformers for power loss reduction in radial distribution systems,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .
Y. Xu, Z.Y. Dong, J.H. Zhao, P. Zhang, and K.P. Wong. (2012). “A reliable intelligent system for real-time dynamic security assessment of power systems,”. IEEE Transactions on Power Systems, .