Dr. Yin Fang is currently an assistant professor in the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering at Nanyang Technological University. He is the guest editor for Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology, and Nanotechnology. He received his Ph.D. in chemical engineering from the University of Florida in 2016. His Ph.D. research with Professor Peng Jiang focused on self-assembled photonic crystals, shape memory polymers, smart windows, and plasmonic sensing in photonic structures. He worked with Professor Bozhi Tian as a postdoctoral scholar in tissue-like hybrid systems and Bioelectronics at the University of Chicago. His current lab research focuses on the multiscale exploration of soft materials, biomechanics, medical devices, biosensing, bioelectronics, and wearable medical robotics. His work resulted in a series of publications in high-impact journals, including Chemical Review, Nature Nano, Nature Biomedical Engineering, Matter, Nature Communication, Trends in Chemistry, Advanced Materials, and a Nature Chemistry paper under review. He issued five patents, and two of them have been licensed by Innovative Space Technologies, LLC. Professor Fang's accolades include the MRS graduate student award (2015), Chinese government award for outstanding self-financed Ph.D. students (2016). His work was rated as top ten coolest research stories in Uchicago News, top 7 stories in the department of chemistry at the University of Chicago, and MATTER’s 12 favourite articles in 2020.
Asst Prof Yin Fang
Assistant Professor, School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Soft materials, Bioelectronics, Medical devices, Soft robotics, Human-machine interfaces, Advanced food packaging materials, and Regenerative medicine.
- Tissue-Like Bioelectronics and Robotics for Electronic Precision Medicine
- Tissue-Like Materials and Bioelectronics for Biointerface
- Lin,Y*†,; Gao, X*,; Yue, J*,; Fang, Y*,; Shi, J,; Clayton, C,; Zhang, X,; Meng, L.;Shi, F,; Deng, J,; Chen, S,; Jiang, Y,; Marin, F,; Hu, J,; Tsai, H.; Tu, Q,; Roth, L. K.; Bleher, R.; Chen, X,; Griffin, P. J.; Cai, Z,; Odom, T,; Tian, B† Soil-Like Material for Responsive Matrices and Microbial Modulation. Nature Chemistry (under review). 2021 *Equal Contribution authors, †Co-corresponding authors
- Fang, Y†.; Tian, B†. Curving neural nano-bioelectronics. Nature Nanotechnology. 2019, 14, 733-735. †Co-corresponding authors
- Fang, Y.†; Yang, X.; Lin, Y.; Shi, J.; Prominski, A.; Clayton, C.; Ostroff, E.; Tian, B†. Dissection of biological and synthetic soft-hard interfaces for tissue-like systems. Chemical Reviews. 2021. (In press) †Co-corresponding authors
- Fang, Y. *†; Han, E. *; Zhang, X. *; Jiang, Y. *; Lin, Y.; Shi, J.; Wu, J.; Meng, L.; Gao, X.; Griffin, P. J.; Xiao, X,; Tsai, H.; Zhou. H.; Zuo, X.; Zhang, Q.; Chu, M.; Zhang, Q.; Gao, Y.; Roth, L. K.; Bleher, R.; Ma, Z.; Jiang, Z.; Yue, J.; Kao, C.; Chen, C.; Tokmakoff, A.; Wang, J.; Jaeger, H†.; Tian, B†. Dynamic and programmable cellular-scale granules enable tissue-like materials. Matter. 2020, 2, 1-17. *Equal Contribution authors; †Co-corresponding authors
- Jiang, Y.*; Li, X.*; Liu, B.*; Yi, J.; Fang, Y.; Shi, F.; Gao, X.; Sudzilovsky, E.; Parameswaran, R.; Koehler, K.; Nair, V.; Yue, J.; Guo, K.; Fang, Y.; Tsai, H.; Freyermuth, G.; Wong, R.; Kao, C.; Nicholls, A.; Wu, X.; Shepherd, G.; Tian, B.† Rational design of silicon structures for multiscale and optically controlled biointerfaces. Nature Biomedical Engineering., 2018.
- Fang, Y.; Ni, Y.; Leo, S.; Taylor, C.; Basile, V.; Jiang, P. † Reconfigurable Photonic Crystals Enabled by Pressure-Responsive Shape Memory Polymers. Nature Communication, 2015, 6, 7416.
- Fang, Y.; Ni, Y.; Choi, B.; Leo, S.; Gao, J.; Ge, B.; Taylor, C.; Basile, V.; Jiang, P. † Chromogenic Photonic Crystals Enabled by Novel Vapor-Responsive Shape Memory Polymers. Advanced Materials, 2015, 27, 3696-3704.