Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: https://hdl.handle.net/10356/39531
Title: Secreted frizzled-related protein 1 (sFRP1) expression does not correlate with subtype, fuhrman grade and tumour size of renal cell carcinoma.
Authors: Wong, Hwee Yin.
Keywords: DRNTU::Science::Biological sciences::Human anatomy and physiology::Human histology
Issue Date: 2010
Abstract: Introduction: Renal Cell carcinoma (RCC) has been a global clinical burden accounting for 3% of all human solid carcinomas. Loss of sFRP1 expression has been found in many human solid tumours, especially RCC. Hence, it is of interest to retrospectively examine the alteration of sFRP1 expression in RCC tissues. Material and Methods: To detect for sFRP1 expression in the 50 RCC tissues (inclusive of various subtypes, Fuhrman grades and tumour sizes), polymer-based immunohistochemistry staining was performed. Results: Not including chromophobe RCCs, there was loss of sFRP1 expression in 70% of the RCCs (P = 0.009) while remaining 30% of the RCC cases demonstrated 2-fold decrease of sFRP1 expression when compared to the external normal renal tissues. Chromophobe RCCs showed focal weak sFRP1 expression, when compared to their internal normal renal tissue. Statistical results then showed that degree of sFRP1 expression did not correlate with subtype of RCC, Fuhrman grade of ccRCC and size of tumour (p > 0.05). Conclusion: sFRP1 antagonizes development of RCC (may include ccRCC and pRCC but not Chromophobe) that is mediated by constitutive Wnt signaling. Future Direction: sFRP1 would be developed into a prognostic/diagnostic marker as and an epigenetic or restoration therapy for RCC.
URI: http://hdl.handle.net/10356/39531
Rights: Nanyang Technological University
Fulltext Permission: restricted
Fulltext Availability: With Fulltext
Appears in Collections:SBS Student Reports (FYP/IA/PA/PI)

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
BS165.pdf
  Restricted Access
437.09 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Page view(s) 50

247
checked on Oct 24, 2020

Download(s) 50

3
checked on Oct 24, 2020

Google ScholarTM

Check

Items in DR-NTU are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.